Five lifestyle sciences researchers were honored last night as winners from the 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences.
The particular Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences honors “ transformative” developments toward understanding living systems and extending human existence. One prize is dedicated to work that contributes to the particular understanding of neurological diseases.
Prizes of $3 million each were presented to:
- Stephen J. Elledge of Harvard Medical School, the Brigham and Women’ s Medical center, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, for elucidating exactly how eukaryotic cells sense and respond to damage in their GENETICS and providing insights into the development and treatment of malignancy.
- Harry F. Noller of the University of California, Santa Cruz, for finding the centrality of RNA in forming the energetic centers of the ribosome, the fundamental machinery of protein activity in all cells, thereby connecting modern biology to the source of life and also explaining how many natural antibiotics affect protein synthesis.
- Roeland Nusse of Stanford University and Howard Hughes Healthcare Institute, for pioneering research on the Wnt pathway, among the crucial intercellular signaling systems in development, cancer, plus stem cell biology.
- Yoshinori Ohsumi of Tokyo Institute of Technology just for elucidating autophagy, the recycling system that cells value to generate nutrients from their own inessential or damaged elements.
- Huda Yahya Zoghbi of Baylor College of Medicine, Howard Hughes Healthcare Institute, and Texas Children’s Hospital, for discoveries from the genetic causes and biochemical mechanisms of spinocerebellar ataxia and Rett syndrome, findings that have provided insight into the particular pathogenesis of neurodegenerative and neurological diseases.
Among other winners, 17-year-old Deanna See, associated with Singapore, won up to $400, 000 in educational awards for her life sciences video, titled “ Superbugs! Plus Our Race against Resistance, ” focused on antibiotic level of resistance.
Breakthrough Prize honorees in life sciences along with other categories were among winners of a combined $25 mil that was awarded at the 5th Annual Breakthrough Prize Honours Ceremony, held at the NASA Ames Research Center within Moffett Field, CA, and televised live on the Nationwide Geographic Channel . The gala has been hosted by Morgan Freeman, with a live performance by Alicia Keys, and presenters that included Vin Diesel, Kevin Durant, Spotify CEO Daniel Ek, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Will. i. am.
“ The 2017 Breakthrough Prize laureates represent the leaders in medical research in physics, math, and life sciences. Their particular breakthroughs will unlock new possibilities and help make the entire world a better place for everyone, ” Facebook founder and TOP DOG Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement. “ There has by no means been a more important time to support science. ”
Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan are amongst founders and presenters of the Breakthrough Prize, along with Search engines co-founder Sergey Brin, 23andMe CEO and co-founder Anne Wojcicki, Alibaba Group founder Jack Ma and his spouse Cathy Zhang, technology investor Yuri Milner and his spouse Julia Milner, and Vanity Fair editor Graydon Billings.